Two Major League Baseball teams, the Boston Red Sox and the Minnesota Twins,make their spring training homes in Fort Myers. Fort Myers has been the spring-training home of the Minnesota Twins since 1990 while the Red Sox have been coming here since 1993.
The Twins train at Hammond Stadium in Fort Myers, located at Six-Mile Cypress Parkway near Douglas Boulevard.
The Red Sox train at Jet Blue Stadium near the airprt. Spring training games are great for visitors to Fort Myers because the ticket prices are considerably lower than what you’d pay at a regular season game. Tickets range from $6 to $21. And you can see the players up close and personal.
Red Sox FAQ
- When are the games? There are 20 home games between Feb. 21 and March 30. The season opens Feb.21 with a college doubleheader, the traditional afternoon game against Northeastern University and evening game versus Boston College. Then Feb. 28 the Red Sox open JetBlue Park at Fenway South against crosscounty rival the Tampa Bay Rays.
- Where do I get tickets, or rent a party suite? What about seating for people with disabilities? They may be purchased at Redsox.com, at the box offi ce at JetBlue Park, or by phone at 877-REDSOX9. Party suites that hold 30 to 60 people are available for rent on a game-by-game basis. Call 226-4700 for pricing information. Fans who require ADA accessible seating may also call 877-REDSOX9. Hearing impaired fans may call the Red Sox TTY line at (617) 226-6644.
- Prices? Ticket prices start at $5 for spots on the outfi eld berm and max out at $46 for a vantage point behind home plate.
- What’s the best time to get autographs? Workout days when the practice fi elds are open or before home games.
- What’s the procedure if a child gets lost? Come to the Fan Services booth behind home plate.
- What do fans do if they have a medical emergency or need first aid?
- Report to the First Aid room behind home plate or seek assistance from a Red Sox event staffer.
- How early can you get there before a game, say, for tailgate parties, and how long can you stay after? Tailgating is not permitted at JetBlue Park. Gates open two hours prior to game time.
- How do you deal with rude or obnoxious fans? Look for a Sox event staffer or report the issue to the Fan Services booth behind home plate.
- How many employees will be required to run and maintain the stadium during spring training season and off-season? A seasonal staff (ticketing, customer service, stadium ops, security, operations) of local residents who work six to 12 months a year depending upon their position; and then a game-day staff (ushers, ticket takers, team store, customer service, security, tour guides, etc.) of a few hundred. Many are locals and some are from New England and other areas.
- Are there ATMs and where? Two located behind home plate.
- Is smoking allowed in the stadium? No.
- Where can fans get tickets or rent a suite? Phone: 1-800-33Twins Online: www.Twinsbaseball.com In Person: At the Ticket offi ce window, Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday: 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Where can fans with disabilities sit? The stadium has fully accessible and dedicated handicapped and companion seating areas.
- What is the best time for autographs? Before and after games.
- What is the procedure if a child gets lost? Ask the nearest usher and report to the guest services booth.
- What do fans do if they have a medical emergency or need first aid? See an usher or alert a stadium staffer so they can signal on-site fi rst-aid personnel.
- How early can you get there before a game, say, for tailgate parties, and how long can you stay after? Gates open three hours before the fi rst pitch. That’s 10 a.m. for day games and 4 p.m. for the two 7:05 p.m. games. One exception: On March 6, gates will open at 10 a.m. for a 12:05 p.m. World Baseball Classic game. The Twins will play Puerto Rico.
- How do you deal with rude or obnoxious fans? Ushers, staff and sheriffs deputies maintain a safe environment.
- How many employees will be required to run and maintain the stadium during spring training season and off-season? About 250 local game-day employees.
- Are there ATMs and where? There are three. One is on each end of the concourse and another in front of gift shop.
- Is smoking allowed in the stadium? The stadium bowl is smoke free.